Faculty & Staff

Frequently Asked Questions for Employees

What do I do if I am hurt on the job?
What happens after a work-related incident is reported?
Additional Information

What do I do if I am hurt on the job

1) Report the Injury to your Employer
Tell your supervisor right away so that he/she can complete the required form for reporting a work-related injury or illness. If your injury developed gradually, report it as soon as you learn it is job related. Reporting your injury promptly helps to prevent delays in receiving benefits, including medical care you may need to prevent further injury.


Get Medical Treatment
(life threatening injuries)
On campus: call 911 for paramedic assistance or 2-3333 for campus police.
Off campus: use the nearest available medical facility for care.
Tell medical staff that the injury happened while working and provide names of your department, direct supervisor and the University's Workers' Compensation administrator, Sedgwick CMS, [PO Box 2063, Oakland, CA 94604.
(510) 302-3180.

Urgent Care: (serious injuries but not life threatening)
Urgent care is available on a drop-in basis at the Urgent Care Clinic at the University Health Services, Tang Center at 2222 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA 94720
((510) 642-3188). The entrance and urgent care parking is on Durant Ave. See Tang Center Hours for regular business hours. If UHS is closed, you may use Alta Bates Medical Center’s Emergency Room located at 2450 Ashby Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94705 or the emergency room of your personal health plan. Follow-up visits for medical care can be scheduled with the Occupational Health Clinic (OHC) by calling
(510) 642-6891.

Non Urgent Care:
You may be treated at the Occupational Health Clinic (OHC) by calling
(510) 642-6891 for an appointment, or may be treated by your personal physician. "Personal physician" is defined as a “medical or osteopathic physician, chiropractor or licensed acupuncturist who has previously directed the medical treatment of the employee, and retains his/her medical records including the medical history.”


If your physician indicates that your work-related injury/illness requires treatment beyond first-aid (or you lose time from work), the UCB Disability Management Services office will mail you a Workers' Compensation Claim Form (DWC-1). You will be asked to complete the Employee section of this form and return it to Disability Management Services, who will complete the Employer section and send a final copy back to you.


What happens after a work-related incident is reported?


The University of California utilizes a third-party company, Sedgwick CMS, to administer our Workers' Compensation claims. A claims administrator from Sedgwick CMS will contact you to discuss your claim, investigate the incident and determine compensability. This Sedgwick CMS administrator will notify you by mail of the initial status of your claim (e.g., accepted, denied, delayed for further investigation).


If approved, temporary disability (TD) benefits are paid until you return to work or the medical condition becomes permanent and stationary (P&S).


If you are unable to perform your usual and customary job on a temporary or permanent basis, your restrictions will be reviewed for possible accommodation through transitional or alternative work. A Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor from Disability Management Services works with your supervisor, Department Personnel Manager and you to identify the appropriate accommodation.


If you are permanently disabled, you may be eligible to receive permanent disability (PD) benefits. The percentage of PD is determined using State guidelines and an assessment of your permanent impairment and limitations. Future medical treatment may also by awarded, depending on medical recommendations.



Any person who makes or causes to be made any knowingly false or fraudulent material statement or material representation for the purpose of obtaining or denying workers' compensation benefits or payments is guilty of a felony.

Additional Information

To learn more about UC Berkeley’s Disability Management Services program, you may review the Workers’ Compensation Handbook for Supervisors. The handbook covers many topics that may be of interest to you including relevant questions and answers.

To learn more about California Workers’ Compensation System and Vocational Rehabilitation Services contact the California Department of Industrial Relation’s Division of Workers’ Compensation. You may call the local DWC office found in the white pages under State Government/Industrial Relations/Workers’ Compensation or you can go to DWC’s website www.dir.ca.gov and link to DWC or Commission on Health & Safety & Workers’ Compensation. There are a number of informative guides for injured workers which may be helpful.

University of California seal

Contact Info bullet Join Our Team bullet About UHS bullet Gifts bullet

Privacy Practices bullet Disclaimer bullet Tang 101 Video bullet Meet the Staff
Copyright © UC Regents bullet 2222 Bancroft Way, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-4300