The Computer Ergonomics Matching Funds Program focuses on ergonomic modification of individual employee computer workstations. The following are the steps to take to qualify for matching funds:
1. Employees must complete required training.
- The participating employee must attend or take the online verson of Computer Health Matters, a free training promoting safe and healthy work practices and the effective use of workstation furniture and accessories. If the employee needs an alternative keyboard or pointing device, attendance at Keyboards & Mice: Ergonomic Alternatives is also required. Training must be within 2 years prior to application for matching funds.
- Enrollment for both workshops is online at the UCB Learning Center at http://blu.berkeley.edu. Both are offered monthly and are also available by request in departments with enrollment of 20 or more. Call (510) 643-2540 for information. The online Computer Health Matters training is also available at the UCB Learning Center.
2. A workstation evaluation is required.
- Matching funds are available for furniture or accessories recommended as a result of a computer workstation evaluation by a trained evaluator. Workstation evaluations are the responsibility of each department, using the department's trained computer workstation evaluators and the campus Computer Workstation Design Guidelines (pdf format).
- A computer workstation assessment form with specific recommendations must accompany each application. A copy of the assessment form should also be kept with department Injury and Illness Prevention Program files.
- For those departments that do not yet have an evaluator, Ergonomics@Work offers Computer Workstation Evaluator Training each semester. Enrollment is online at the UCB Learning Center at http://blu.berkeley.edu.
- If an ergonomic evaluation is prescribed for an employee by their health care provider, an evaluation by an ergonomics professional can be submitted with the Matching Funds Application Form.
3. Purchase furniture and accessories from a pre-approved product list
- If a workstation evaluation identifies the need for specific modification, Ergonomics@Work has developed a pre-approved product list for the matching funds program. These products provide adjustability, are suited for a wide range of employees, and conform to University procurement contracts.
- Ergonomics@Work recommends that products be seen and tried before purchase to ensure they are appropriate for the employee's situation. Many of these pre-approved products are on display at the campus Ergonomics Showroom, Communications and Network Services, or The Scholar's Workstation. Please see the Computer Ergonomics Matching Funds Pre-approved Product List for details.
- A purchase order for the recommended furniture or equipment should be submitted within 30 days of the evaluation.
- An application must be submitted for each employee whose workstation requires modification. Send the following to Mallory Lynch, Ergonomics@Work, Tang Center, MC 4300:
- Completed Computer Ergonomics Matching Funds Application form, and
- Computer Workstation Assessment Form for employee's workstation, and
- Copies of product invoices, receipts, or order confirmation forms for recommended products from pre-approved product list.
- Upon approval of your application, Ergonomics@Work will transfer 50% of the purchase price up to $500 per employee to the chart string indicated on the application form.
- Funding for this program is limited. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Funding reimbursement will be delayed or denied for applications that are incomplete or provide insufficient supporting documentation.
Questions? Contact Ergonomics@work at (510) 643-2540, or email