|The Breastfeeding Support Program (BFSP) is sponsored by University Health Services - Health*Matters Wellness Program for Faculty & Staff. The BFSP serves faculty, staff, students, and their spouses/domestic partners, as well as employees at UCOP and LBNL who choose to continue breastfeeding after returning to work or school.|
Contact us | Registration Info | Breast Pump Products | Lactation Rooms on Campus | Breastfeeding Class | Lactation Accommodation Policy | Affordable Care Act | FSA reimbursement | Additional Campus Resources | Community Resources
The BFSP program includes:
- lactation rooms on campus with Ameda hospital-grade breastpumps
- personal hygienikit to use with hospital-grade pumps sold at cost
- breastfeeding classes facilitated by a certified lactation
UHS - Tang Center
2222 Bancroft Ave
Berkeley, CA 94720-4300
Breastfeeding Support Program Information
Email: email@example.com or call at 643-4646
Please register to use any of the BFSP services (purchasing a pump, using a lactation room, etc.). Registration is FREE and allows Health*Matters to track the use of the program.
Health*Matters has contracted with Ameda to provide the following products to the campus community at cost plus tax:
Yours® Electric Breast Pump with Carry All Tote ($195.00, includes tax) is a portable pump that operates on three power source
options, including AC adapter, (6) AA batteries, or optional car
adapter. Weighing only one (1) pound, Purely Yours fits into its
own compact tote bag designed to hold the pump and all accessories
while safely storing collected milk up to 10 hours in the Cool
'N Carry insulated tote included with in the Carry All. BPA-free.
The pump parts may be used with the hospital-grade pumps in the campus lactation rooms.
Dual Pumping Kit ($40.00, includes tax) is your personal attachment
kit that may be used with the hospital-grade pump in the lactation
rooms if you do not have Purely Yours or another personal pump. The kit's unique silicone diaphragm acts as a barrier to
ensure milk purity by preventing contaminants from coming in contact
with collected breast milk and prevents milk back-up so tubing
and pump require little to no maintenance. BPA-free. Product #17155
- To purchase a pump or kit, please make an appointment
by contacting Health*Matters.
Please note: payment is accepted by cash or check only. Please make checks out to "UC Regents"
Most of the lactation rooms on campus have a hospital-grade, electric breast pumps for use either with the attachments from the Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump® or a personal HygieniKit®. Both of these products are available to purchase at cost from Health*Matters.
To use a lactation room on campus, please complete and return the registration form. After you have registered and identified the preferred building with a lactation room, you will be provided the access code and specific directions.
Lactation rooms are located in the following buildings:
- Birge Hall (please allow 5-7 working days for your ID to be programmed for card key access, along with additional required paperwork that will be sent when you request access.)
- Dwinelle Hall
- Evans Hall
- Giannini Hall
- Haas School of Business
- Moffitt Library
- Simon Hall
- Tang Center (University Health Services)
- Tolman Hall*
- University Hall
- Warren Hall - this room is only accessible to occupants in Warren Hall. Register with the BFSP to access.
In addition, several buildings on campus have lactation rooms that are reserved for occupants of those buildings. These include California Hall, Li Ka Shing Center, RSSP, Stanley Hall, and the College of Chemistry. Please contact the building manager for access to these room.
*In addition to the Tolman Hall Lactation Room, a private, locked room with a hospital-grade pump on the fifth floor, there is also a lactation space adjacent to the women's restroom on the third floor (room 3204) with a privacy curtain and a chair for nursing or pumping.
- Faculty and staff enroll through the UCB Learning Center.
- Students and all others enroll by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling at 643-4646.
- UC Policy: Accommodation for Nursing Mothers
- UC Berkeley: Policy 84 Breastfeeding Implementation Procedures
Affordable Care Act - effective January 1, 2013, UC's medical plans will be providing breastfeeding support, supplies and counseling at no cost. For more information on how this measure will affect you, please contact your medical plan.
The IRS has announced the cost of breast pumps and HygieniKits® can now be reimbursed through your Health Flexible Spending Account (Health FSA). UC employees can find out more about the CONEXIS Health FSA on the At Your Service website.
Read the article from the NY Times.
- Breastfeeding - Reference and Product Guide from Ameda
- Breastfeeding- Educational Guide from Womenshealth.gov
- Breastfeeding and Working- Guide from Womenshealth.gov
- Womenshealth.gov from U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Also provides a
hotline for basic breastfeeding questions: 1-800-994-9662
- La Leche League International
Last updated: 1/20/16