Wellness at Work (pdf)
This is a pdf version of this webpage for distributing to department managers and supervisors.
Planning Healthy Meetings and Events (pdf)
This is a one page tip sheet for managers and supervisors
Assess your Office:
- Do you understand your role in preventing injury and illness and creating a safe and healthy work environment?
- Do staff take work breaks? Do they feel comfortable going for a walk or stretching at break time?
- Are you familiar with the wellness programs offered on campus? Do you orient staff and faculty on the campus resources they can utilize to achieve and maintain healthy lifestyles?
- Do you make sure healthy food and beverage options are available at meetings and events for those that want healthier choices?
Suggestions for Action:
Know your campus health and wellness resources . . .
- Health*Matters - UC Berkeley's wellness program for faculty and staff
- Recreational Sports - 30-day free pass for fac/staff, WorkFit, lots more
- Tools for Manager/Supervisors to Create a Healthy Workplace Culture
Create a wellness culture...
- Join the Department Wellness Network coordinated by Health*Matters and use the resources provided by your Department Wellness Coordinator (DWC).
- Follow the UCB Guidelines for Healthy Meetings and Events to ensure availability of heallthy choices at all unit and department meetings, events, potlucks and celebrations. Encourage sharing of fruits and vegetables rather than desserts, cookies and other sweets.
- Support flex time to give staff more control over their daily schedules.
Flex time can support time for exercise goals, participation in wellness
programs, and balance of work/life needs.
- Put wellness on staff meeting agendas -- assess your office culture, identify interests/needs, and discuss ideas to integrate wellness into your workplace. Distribute responsibilities among staff to announce current programs and lead discussions. Add fun to your meetings, too!
- Create a culture that encourages and supports actives lifestyles:
- Promote walking breaks, taking the stairs, scheduling walk n'talk meetings, finding a walking partner, getting up from workstation to stretch and move, or using a pedometer.
- Promote walking with Health*Matters Walking Group every MWF
at 12:10-1 pm at the Campanile or joining Recreational
Sports (WorkFit, fitness memberships, more).
- Communicate and promote campus wellness programs:
Support staff to achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle...
- Encourage and support staff to take advantage of the available wellness programs on campus - take their health assessment, complete Know Your Numbers, participate in the Walking Group or other behavior change programs available online and in-person. Enroll at UCB Learning Center.
- Arrange for workshops that you can bring into your department or staff meetings such as Step Up to Fitness, Healthy Lunches, Flu Prevention or Restorative Yoga for skills to use daily for relaxation and focus.
- Share health and wellness educational materials with staff (see
Health*Matters Resources for Better Health) - Healthier
Habits at Work, fact sheets from the Healthy
Office Program for Supervisors, UC Berkeley Wellness Letter first
time subscriber discount and more.