WELL Said! Testimonials and Success Stories
What did you like best about this event?
- “It actually got me out on a walk again and reminded me how much better I feel physically and mentally when I leave the office and walk during my lunch break.”
- “Having an opportunity to meet up with my friends who work in other departments. We treasure our work relationships, but we're just all so busy. CalWalks reminded us how gorgeous the campus is and how we really need to make time for lunchtime walks with each other. This was altogether a delightful event.”
- “Being able to walk with others. It was great to see so many other people out there committed to exercise!”
- “Great opportunity to participate in a healthy activity with coworkers.”
- “Bringing people together to show how simple it is to exercise. It just takes a small commitment.”
- “Walking as a UC Group.”
- “Meeting new people around campus.”
- “Interacting with other enthusiastic walkers.”
- “Its cause: Campus-wide event focused on health (and mind) of our staff!”
- “The social aspect of meeting as a group to walk and I think we all get excited about participation prizes.”
- “The fact that the University actively encourages fitness.”
- “Getting co-workers away from their desk during the lunch hour”
- “The event made me make the time to go for a 30 minute walk. I loved it and hope to schedule walks on my calendar and enjoy the beautiful campus.”
- “The group meeting locations to take a walk. Having tee-shirts because they serve as a reminder to walk and about the program. The little raffle/gift items related to healthier living (portion plate, pedometers, etc.). Really I liked all of it!”
- “A great way of getting together with staff all over campus.”
- “I love the cooking demonstrations. It helps to see how easy and fast it is to cook.”
- “You can cook things in so many different ways, and they all taste so good.”
- “Delicious samples. Well designed handouts. A good instructor.”
- “This gets me to try new vegetables and be experimental.”
- “I learned how to take different ingredients to mix and match and spice up my brown bag lunches. Getting a taste of the samples was fantastic.”
|From Past Participants||From Kay Burns|
- “This class actually gets you out doing the exercise and making the healthy foods that we all know we should do.”
- “A great program to help jump start your fitness at whatever level you begin, you CAN exceed your expectations. All you need to do is show up and try.”
- "Both programs targeting activity and nutrition were phenomenal. The best part of the exercise and nutrition programs was everything! Especially, the instructors, that is, they both exemplified commendable drive and motivation."
- "Both Kristl and Kristen were tremendously wonderful instructors - knowledgeable, supportive, and motivating. The format of the program, where the workout was followed by a nutrition class, was so effective - a great balance of learning new things with both my mind and body."
- "This activity and nutrition program possesses the qualities that together reflect the fundamental values and spirit of excellence for addressing UC staff's commitment to improve their health, that is, "Health Matters"!"
- "I just wanted to say what an inspiring experience this was. I ride my bike around and walked, but I hadn't jogged a mile since high school because I thought I couldn't. I really hope that Berkeley is able to offer this program again - the skills I learned in these classes will travel with me (and I am telling other people in my life what I learned so they can get off their butts and eat healthier!)."
- "Before this program, I did not see myself as being the one of "those people" who exercise and who pay regular, informed attention to what their diet looks like. I wasn't against it -- I just didn't feel like I was one of them. Now I have the confidence that I can make changes that are good for me, and not try to compare myself to other people."
- "It was an absolutely excellent experience for us because of your organization, your skills, and your staff---all of whom represent the very best of medicine and public health."
- "This was FANTASTIC!!! Thank you for offering this service! I will definitely sign up for this again in the future to measure my progress in getting and staying healthy/losing weight!"
- "It was great to have all these measures completed in one short process, and to get the results right away, including counseling. It is much less stressful than doing it with your doctor, where anxiety and time constraints make you forget your questions, or where the doctor doesn't relay complete information. Excellent program! I've told my colleagues and they are signing up too."
- "This screening was great. I felt the staff did an excellent job and were very informative. It's good to know my numbers!"
- "The staff was very friendly. Everything was set up just perfectly. Thanks to the campus for supporting this important aspect of our life -- our health!"
- "I get screened each year for cholesterol, etc. at my physical but I never get the results - my doctor always says they'll call if there is a problem. I liked this because I got the results right away, with someone to explain what they mean."
- "The screening was very helpful! The staff was great and I am now more motivated to lead a healthier lifestyle in the hopes of lowering my risk of disease."
- "Your program would benefit all Americans. The convenience, affordability, and education offer excellent preventive care."