All international students attending a UC Berkeley Summer Session must have health insurance that includes medical benefits and medical evacuation and repatriation of remains coverage.Highlights:
- Medical benefits coverage of at least $50,000 per injury or illness
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per injury or illness
- Maximum 25% co-insurance/co-payment provision for covered services at customary & reasonable charges in U.S. dollars, not equivalent cost for services in home country
- $10,000 minimum coverage for expenses associated with the medical evacuation of scholar to scholar’s home country
- $7,500 minimum coverage for repatriation of remains to home country
UC Berkeley's Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) is not available for international Summer Session students. For students who did not purchase health insurance prior to travel to the U.S. to attend UC Berkeley's Summer Session, we suggest that you search online for these health insurance options:
- Home country travel insurance websites
- US travel insurance plans for visitors to the U.S. See websites below for more information:
This information is provided as a service to students. It is not meant as a University endorsement of any insurance company or plan. Contact the insurance company for plan details and the most current information about eligibility, costs and benefits. UC Berkeley’s University Health Services staff does not provide any enrollment services.
All students enrolled in UC Berkeley Summer Sessions may use the Tang Center for medical services on a fee-for-service basis. Students will have to pay for services at the time of service and submit a claim to their insurer for reimbursement (see information sheet).