Pharmacy Services at the Tang Center

Our fully licensed pharmacy is committed to providing quality service to our patients. We accept valid prescriptions from licensed clinicians within the United States, if the prescription is for an item that we stock.

Location: Tang Center - Bancroft side of the first floor
Questions: Please ask the staff at the Pharmacy window or call (510) 642-3249. Questions about insurance, including concerns about reaching the annual benefit cap, should be directed to the Student Health Insurance Office, Room 3200, (510) 642-5700.

Refills: original prescription written by a UHS provider Via eTang: For most efficient service, log-in to the eTang patient portal, click on ”Messages,” create a “New Message” requesting a refill/renewal from our pharmacy, and follow the instructions online.

  • If you have refills remaining on your prescription, your medication will be ready by noon the next day.
  • If you do NOT have refills remaining, your request will be forwarded to your Primary Care Physician (PCP) and team for review. You will hear back within 72 hours whether your request has been approved, or next steps.

By phone: There is a 24-hour refill recorder at (510) 642-3249. You can call anytime and leave your refill prescription information, following the instructions in the phone message. (Note: This applies to prescriptions last filled at UHS. See "Transferring a Prescription" for prescriptions last filled elsewhere.)

All refills called in after 8 a.m. will be ready by 12 p.m. the next working day. Please note that the Pharmacy is closed on Saturday during the Summer months.

In person: You may also bring your refill information to the Pharmacy counter. It will be processed on a first come, first served basis.

Refills: prescriptions written by outside providers For prescriptions written by outside providers, the Pharmacy will phone your doctor's office to a request a refill authorization, which generally takes 48-72 hours.
Prescription transferring Transferring to the UHS Pharmacy
Please stop by the Pharmacy with the name, address and phone number of your pharmacy, which can be found on the medication label of your container(s). If coming in, bring all the medication containers. If we carry your medication, we will call your pharmacy and have your prescription and valid refills transferred to UHS. This process may take up to 48 hours during busy times.

Transferring UHS prescriptions to another pharmacy
Please ask your pharmacy to call the UHS Pharmacy at (510) 642-3249 to arrange the transfer of your prescription and valid refills.

Over-the-counter products The Pharmacy carries some over-the-counter medications and contraceptive products (condoms, diaphragm jelly, etc.) at discounted prices. No prescription is required. Click here for the order form.
Prescription: non-stocked medications For Berkeley SHIP members, if your prescription is for a medication not stocked by the UHS Pharmacy, the staff will refer you to an Aetna Participating Pharmacy to get it filled.
Eligibility All registered UC Berkeley students and other groups eligible to use UHS can use the Pharmacy at UHS. UHS Health Net members wishing to use their pharmacy benefit must go to a designated Health Net pharmacy.

When UHS eligibility ends:
No purchases may be made at the Pharmacy after UHS eligibility ends (August 14 for departing spring semester students and January 14 for departing fall semester students). If you have a prescription filled shortly before the end-date, it will be for a maximum of a 30-day supply beyond the end-date.

Unfortunately, there are no exceptions to this limit. The Pharmacy is able to provide prescription and over-the-counter medications at a discount because of special UC contract prices. These discounts cannot be legally extended beyond the 30-day limit.

Please note: If you have valid refills beyond the limits described in either situation above, have the pharmacy of your choice call us to transfer the prescription.

Insurance The Tang Pharmacy accepts only the Student Health Insurance Plan (Berkeley SHIP). For Berkeley SHIP members, prescriptions filled at the UHS Tang Center Pharmacy have a co-pay of $5 for generic and $25 for brand name medications (for each 30-day supply).

Outside of University Health Services:
Prescriptions filled outside of UHS at an Aetna Student Health Network Pharmacy have a $5 co-pay for generic and $25 co-pay for brand name medications (30-day supply), $40 for "non-formulary" items

Prescription limits The Tang Pharmacy dispenses a maximum of a 90-day supply, with the exception of travelers abroad as long as they remain eligible for UHS services (e.g., EAP and Filing Fee withdrawal students).
Expired Medications Disposal Sites If you have medication that has expired, please refer to the following disposal locations.


Pharmacies in the area See List of Pharmacies in the East Bay.

There is a CVS Drug Store on Shattuck and Bancroft, a Walgreen's on Telegraph near Bancroft, and a Walgreen's on Shattuck near the downtown Berkeley Bart station.


Frequently Asked Questions

Transferring Prescriptions and Ordering Medication(s) Refills Refills

Q: How do I get refills on my medication(s)?
A: If you have refills remaining on your medication(s), call the UHS Pharmacy at (510) 642-3249, press option "1" and follow the instructions given by the phone message. Please allow 24 hours for processing and possible delays for special orders and weekend requests.
In person: You may also bring your refill information to the Pharmacy counter. It will be processed on a first come, first served basis.

In person: You may also bring your refill information to the Pharmacy counter. It will be processed on a first come, first served basis.

Q: How do I get refills on my medication(s) if I don't have the prescription number or if I am out of refills?
A: If the prescription was written by a UHS clinician and you do not have the prescription number, or you don't have any refills left, the UHS Pharmacy will contact your clinician for a new prescription, you will want to:

  • Contact the UHS pharmacy (510) 642-3249
  • Give us your name, your Studend ID number, the name of the medication(s) you wish to refill and a confidential phone number
  • Assume your medication request will be reviewed and processed, and will be ready for pick-up at the UHS Pharmacy within 48 hours of your request. You will hear from your clinician's office only if there is a problem with the refill.

If your prescription was written by a clinician outside of UHS and you are unable to contact them to transfer the prescription, you must book an appointment with a UHS clinician by calling 510-642-2000.


Q: How do I transfer my prescription(s) to the UHS Pharmacy?
A: For the pharmacists to transfer any remaining refills on your previous prescription(s) to the UHS Pharmacy, you will need to stop by the UHS Pharmacy and:

  • Give us your name, your Student ID number, the name of the medication(s) you wish to refill and a confidential phone number.
  • Give us your previous pharmacy's name and phone number.
  • Give us the name(s) of the medication(s) you want transferred, and the prescription number(s) if you have them.
  • The transfer process may take up to 48 hours during busy times, and if the medication requires ordering.

Q: How do I transfer my prescription(s) from the UHS Pharmacy to another Pharmacy?
A: Please ask your pharmacy to call the UHS Pharmacy at (510) 642-3249 and the UHS pharmacists will transfer the prescription along with all valid refill(s).

Reimbursement for Prescriptions Q. I have Berkeley SHIP. How can I get reimbursed for prescriptions filled outside of Tang?
A: Prescriptions filled outside of UHS have a $5 co-pay for generic and $25 co-pay for brand name medications (30-day supply), $40 for "non-formulary" items.
Picking Up Prescriptions Q: When can I pick up my prescriptions?
A: When you call in a refill request, please allow 48 hours for us to contact your clinician and get approval for the refill. If the request is urgent you may talk to a Pharmacy Staff person who will expedite your request as needed.

Q: Can I have someone else pick up my prescription?
A: For privacy reasons we can only dispense medication to the intended person. However, if you give express permission for someone else to pick up your prescription, either in writing (send a note with them) or by contacting us ahead by phone so a note can be placed with your medications, then a designated person can pick up your prescription(s). The person picking up the medications must be prepared to pay any associated charges or co-pays.

Emergency Contraception Q: What are the directions for taking "Plan B"?
A: A woman may take both tablets together right away, or may take one tablet now and one 12 hours later.

Q: Are there any side effects after taking"Plan B"?
A: Side effects are minimal with "Plan B"…some women may experience mild nausea and/or temporary breast tenderness until their next menstrual cycle. "Plan B" will often change the timing for menstruation.

Q: What is the medication in "Plan B"?
A: "Plan B" is a progesterone-only product.

Q: How effective is "Plan B"?
A: "Plan B" is about 90% effective when used within 72 hours. It is not 100% effective, and it is more effective the sooner it is taken. Contraception must be used consistently to prevent pregnancy. If you use "Plan B" and you do not begin menstruation within three weeks, you will need a pregnancy test.

Q: What about payment for "Plan B"?
A: For students 18 and years older - Plan B is over the counter; the cost is $30 plus tax.

For students under 18 years of age - Plan B can be dispensed to the patient only, by the pharmacist, by written order from a UHS clinician. The Berkeley SHIP co-pay for Plan B is $25, which will be charged to your student billing form. Charges on a billing form for Plan B are confidential; they are listed only as a pharmacy charge. If you are under 18 you may call the Advice Nurse at 510-643-7197 to get a prescription for Plan B.

Contraceptives Please review the following statements, but feel free to call the UHS Advice Nurse during regular clinic hours at 510-643-7197, if you have unanswered questions or concerns.

We also recommend the Sexual Health Education Program (SHEP). For a careful review of all methods of contraception, make a SHEP appointment by calling 510-642-2000

Q: How do I get non-prescription contraceptives at UCB?
A: Non-prescription contraceptives, such as condoms and other safer sex supplies are available at the UHS Pharmacy at the Tang Center. Samples of these are available through the Health Promotion program offered at Tang. To book an appointment for information on contraceptives and safe sex counseling with a Peer Educator, call (510) 642-2000 and ask for a SHEP appointment.

Q: How do I get prescription contraceptives at UCB?
A: Contraceptives such as pills, patch, ring, injection and diaphragm require a prescription. Please make an appointment for a visit with a Nurse Practitioner or Physician's Assistant at UHS by calling (510) 642-2000. You may also bring in or transfer a prescription from elsewhere (see FAQ on how to transfer your prescriptions). For an IUD, make a consultation appointment with one of the IUD Clinicians.

Q: I am already taking birth control pills, and feel like I am experiencing side effects. What should I do?
A: First establish whether you may have a rare, but serious effect from the pills, and if so, medical care should be sought immediately for the following ACHES:

A - abdominal pain: unusually severe or persistent pain under the lower right ribs that could indicate liver or gall bladder problems.
C - chest pain: sudden shortness of breath, and sharp, localized chest pain which is unrelated to other causes.
H - headaches: increased number of migraine headaches or a severe headache with dizziness, visual changes, weakness or change in your mental state, such as confusion.
E - eye problems: sudden visual loss or blurring.
S - severe leg pain: tenderness, pain, redness in one calf or thigh that is unrelated to injury or overuse.

If you just started taking birth control pills, and do not have serious side effects, continue to take them for approximately 3 months. It takes your body time to get used to the new hormones. If, after that time, you are still unhappy with the prescription, make an appointment with a clinician.

Note: Minor side effects include nausea, bleeding between periods, no period, breast tenderness, emotional changes, and complexion changes. Minor side effects usually resolve with time. Some of these can be lessened by making small changes. Contact the pharmacist or read your handouts for suggestions.

Q: I forgot to take my pill(s). What should I do?
A: Usually if you miss one pill, it is okay. Just take the pill as soon as you remember it or take two together. If you have taken two together before and it caused you some nausea, you can separate the two pills by 6-12 hours.
If you have missed two pills, take them as soon as possible, separating the doses if necessary, and use a back-up method (usually condoms) for every act of intercourse for the next 7 days.
If you have missed three or more pills your cycle and your contraception will be affected. There are a couple of ways to handle this…1) stop the pills, use a back up method for every act of intercourse, restart pills on the 1st day of your new period, or 2) continue the pills, but use a back up method for every act of intercourse for seven days. You may experience spotting or even a full period, but eventually your cycle will match your pills.

Q: I have run out of packs of pills and I have no refills left. What should I do?
A: If you received your prescription from the UHS Pharmacy…

  • First, check your birth control packaging and look on the Tang prescription label to verify that you do not have any more refills left.  If you do, request a refill through the eTang portal (ready before noon the next day), or just stop by the pharmacy.
  • If you are completely out of pills TODAY, call (510) 642-3249 or secure message the Tang Pharmacy. Your request will be forwarded to the clinic nurse who will review your chart and renew by protocol whenever possible, or will let you know if an appointment is needed. The process may take up to 72 hours to complete although we make every effort to respond the same day.
  • If you have some pills left  and it has been MORE THAN ONE YEAR since your last prescription from UHS, make an appointment to get another year supply of birth control pills.  Please make an appointment with your primary care provider by going online to the eTang website or by calling the appointment office at (510) 642-2000.
  • If you had a prescription from an outside clinician, the pharmacist can contact that office and request additional refills. However, you need to follow your clinician's instructions for follow-up appointments.

    Tang Tip:  Allow at least 72 hours turnaround time for medication renewals.  We strongly suggest you request medications early -- as soon as you realize you have only a week left.


Q: I have more questions about contraception or I am very confused. What should I do?
A: If you have questions about getting a prescription at our pharmacy, call the UHS pharmacy at (510) 642-3249. If you have questions about contraception or a particular birth control method, call the Advice Nurse at (510) 643-7197. We also recommend the Student Health Education Peers (SHEP). For a careful review of all methods, make a SHEP appointment by calling 510-642-2000.



Back to Student Services A-Z>

University of California seal

Contact Info bullet Join Our Team bullet About UHS bullet Gifts bullet

Privacy Practices bullet Disclaimer bullet Tang 101 Video bullet Meet the Staff
Copyright © UC Regents bullet 2222 Bancroft Way, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-4300