J Visa Exchange Visitors
Health Insurance Requirements
All international J Exchange Visitors must have health insurance that includes medical benefits and medical evacuation and repatriation of remains coverage. All scholars must provide proof of insurance that meets all of these requirements or purchase an alternate insurance plan that meets these guidelines within 31 days of arrival at UC Berkeley. The scholar may also be requested to complete a Certificate of Health Insurance Coverage to accompany policy documents.
- Medical benefits coverage of at least $50,000 per injury or illness
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per injury or illness
- Maximum 25% co-insurance/co-payment provision for covered services at customary & reasonable charges in U.S. dollars, not equivalent cost for services in home country
- $10,000 minimum coverage for expenses associated with the medical evacuation of scholar to scholarâ€™s home country
- $7,500 minimum coverage for repatriation of remains to home country
The following health insurance options are suggested for UC Berkeley international visitors who are not eligible for UC Berkeley health benefits (some visiting professors, researchers, specialists and lecturers) and UC Berkeley affiliates (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, GTU, and International Computer Science Institute):
- Home country travel insurance
- US travel insurance plans for visitors to the U.S.
- HCC Medical Services:
- International Medical Group
- Seven Corners:
- Travel Guard Chartis:
- United Chinese Plan (for visitors from Asia):
- HCC Medical Services:
For additional assistance, you may contact Barney & Barney, UC Berkeley's insurance broker, at 510-466-6036 (Silvana Brezac). Website: http://www.barneyandbarney.com/visiting-scholars/.
Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance
All J Exchange Visitors must have insurance coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. If your health insurance policy does not cover these provisions, you may purchase a policy through the University. (NOTE: Employees with UC Berkeley health benefits must purchase this coverage as US plans do not include medical evacuation and repatriation coverage for J Exchange Visitors.) The policy is available for download here.
Additional Health and Welfare Services
J Exchange Visitors who are UC Berkeley employees or are from an affiliated organization are not eligible to use the Tang Center for medical services, but may use any of the faculty and staff services at Tang such as Care Services, Health*Matters, and Work/Life programs..
This information is provided as a service to UC Berkeley visitors. It is not meant as a University endorsement of any insurance company or plan. Contact the insurance company for plan details and the most current information about eligibility, costs and benefits. UC Berkeley's University Health Services staff does not provide any enrollment services.